Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Been Too Long

Happy May to everyone. Life with the Audet Family continues. Lately, we have been doing some home improvements. B got a new toy. So in order to quit my yapping about the new toy, I got new appliances.

It's funny yet sad how new appliances make us happy as we get older. Could you imagine telling a 20-something, "I love you so much, I got you new appliances!" After you recover from turning to stone, you realize that is NOT what your loved one wants. Me though, I'm over the moon about my new friends/workhorses =).

We had been looking at these items for awhile. Finally, everything was right. Lowe's was reimbursing the delivery fee and giving 10% off the Energy Star appliances. Also, Bosch, the manufacturer of our washer/dryer combo gave us $200. Whirlpool, the manufacturer of our fridge and dishwasher, gave us $100 back. Well. let me describe what we got and why.

1. The new freezer is taller that the old one. The inside door is better designed to hold more stuff. It displays the temperature. It has an Energy Star approval. The old freezer had a bad seal. Yes, we could have gotten a new gasket, but that wasn't the only problem. It was an older model that we got from a kind Freecycler but was not energy efficient. It definitely was NOT frost free. We knew it was going to cost us an arm and leg being out in the garage during the summer (between the frost and the gasket). The new freezer is in the basement.

2. The new fridge is stainless steel and looks like it belongs in our home. It has an Energy Star approval. The old fridge was poorly designed. It has a huge hump in the top middle that prevented us from putting anything tall in there. Also,the calling the old fridge small would be an understatement. It could not hold enough food for three people - how was it going to hold enough food for eight! I love the freezer being on the bottom - it's really saved my back. The only problem with the new one is the magnets won't stick to the stainless steel (Yes, B and I work around the stuff. Yet, we both forgot this important fact =( ). I have started taping Faith's work to my kitchen island.

3. The old dishwasher was a safety hazard. We had planned on telling the kids that they could not run it while we were at work this summer. If we did not ensure that the water was working properly, the dish soap would fall onto the heating element and start burning. Go ahead; ask me how I know. The new dishwasher is also stainless steel. It is so quiet.

4. I got my new washing machine! It is a front loader. I cannot wait to see how much our water bill goes down. The old machine still works but it makes that really loud screeching noise as it stops. It really is bad. My m-i-l still jumps every time she hears that noise. Oh yeah, I can get more clothes in the new washer. I'm not sure if I'm going to allow the kids to touch it though...

5. Finally, the new dryer goes with the new washer. I'm happy with the pair. The moisture sensor does help with reducing the drying time.

6. Okay, I forgot to mention the pedestals for the washer and dryer. Wow. I like them because I can store so many cleaning supplies in them. It really allowed me more space on my pantry floor.

So, that's the update on my new toys.

Failing to plan IS planning to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment